TALE is an affiliate of the International Literacy Association
The mission of the Texas Association for Literacy Education is to promote literacy that will enhance the lives of all Texas citizens personally, socially and economically.
We envision an education system that:
- Promotes a positive literacy identity for all students;
- Values children for their diverse interests, perspectives, linguistic capabilities, cultural identities and personal goals;
- Creates a curriculum that is flexible and responsive to individual interests and goals;
- Motivates learners through meaningful and joyful learning activities;
- Connects individuals, the schools and the community for the purpose of using literacy for personal and social good.
Literacy professionals are committed to serving the learners in this state:
- By drawing on their deep understanding of the principles of language and literacy learning to guide their practice;
- Through the utilization of evidence-based teaching practices in designing and offering instruction;
- By thoughtfully adapting instruction to individuals and contexts as needed;
- Through conscious attention to ethical principles that respect the rights and dignity of the learner at all times;
- By continued study of teaching through personal professional development;
- Through leadership in the design of programs and in support of new professionals entering the field and in-service to teachers working to improve practice;
- By advocating with parents, community, media, local councils and policy makers to promote literacy for social justice.